One-on-one and small group tutoring sessions for students in grades 3-12 taught by a certified teacher with over 17 years of experience
About the Instructor
Hi, my name is Jon, and I'm a California state certified social science teacher with over 17 years of experience teaching both in the classroom and online. I'm from Buffalo, NY but currently live in Mexico City.
Since 2019, I've taught almost 5,000 one-on-one or small group online tutoring sessions in all subjects to students between the ages of 3 and 18 who live all over the world.
Before 2019, I worked at an independent study charter school in San Diego for eleven years where I taught all subjects to students in grades 6-12.
I'm highly qualified in California to teach math, science, and English, and I also have a 120-Hour TESOL certificate and a VIPKid TEFL certificate.
I use a whole child approach so that I can make learning useful, engaging, and fun! I like to get to know my students' personalities, learning styles, and strengths and weaknesses so that I can customize lessons that will help them build their confidence and meet their short- and long-term academic goals.
I've worked with thousands of students since I began teaching in 2005, including English Language Learners, those who are gifted and talented, those with IEPs, and those who have 504 Plans, and I look forward to working with your student(s) as well!
I'm also an award-winning/represented novelist, screenwriter, songwriter, and guitarist, and I have experience teaching Spanish to non-native speakers and English as a Second Language, as well. I welcome learners of all ages to book classes with me in any of these areas (see more about this below).
Areas of Expertise
Grades 3-5, all subjects
Grades 6-8, all subjects, including Spanish
About the Sessions
Specialized skills (for students of all ages)
Please choose the session length, date, and time.
Also, on the booking page, you're only able to book one session at a time. If you'd prefer to book a number of classes and only pay once, please let me know the days/times. I'll book them and then send you a PayPal link to make one payment.
Reviews from VIPKid (translated from Chinese)
I earned a 4.99/5 star average rating with over 2,500 ratings at VIPKid, where I taught 4,000+ online English classes to Chinese children from 2019-2021. Here are some examples of the feedback I received (please scroll):
Terms and Conditions
- The prices shown are for 1 student. If you'd like more than one student to attend, there will be a charge of $5/extra student per session. If you know of a group of students who would benefit from group classes, please let me know and we can arrange a payment structure for these at a group rate.
- All payments must be received before a session begins. You can pay on the booking website via PayPal or Stripe.
- If you cancel 24 hours or more before a session, I'll give you a full refund or move your session to another day/time--whichever you prefer! If you cancel within 24 hours, however, there will be no refund/moved session. This is due to the fact that when you book a session, I close that time off to other students, and I also plan for that session.
- If a student is running late, I'll try to give them extra time, but that is not always possible given the fact that I often teach back-to-back sessions.
- I will remain in the video chat for the duration of our session, unless it is canceled.
- If your student experiences any IT issues during the session, I'll do my best to help them troubleshoot, and I'll also give extra time if possible. If I ever have IT issues that prevent us from meeting, or if I'm sick and need to cancel (hasn't happened yet in nearly three years!), I'll send you a full refund and/or move the session.
- If you refer a new student to the school, I'll give you a free session of up to an hour long for each student referred!
- If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'm happy to send you my phone number if you'd prefer to text or call, but I'd prefer to send it via email.